Changes to the Toolbox

For our NOLA project, we had to create a data analysis toolbox of our project. It explains the who, what, when, where, how, and why of our project/experiment, and what graphical displays we will use to present our data. My toolbox, much like my other classmates' toolboxes, had some errors and was not up to standards of what a toolbox should look like. For example, I did not go into detail about the specifics of my project, like the individuals in the data and the date and location of which the project would take place. I also did not explain what the numerical summaries and the graphical displays were, so if someone were to read my toolbox, and didn't know anything about a box plot, then they would have no idea why I would have one. I also did not include the question that I plan to answer with the outcome of this project, so the reader would have no idea why I am looking up house prices in New Orleans and comparing them.

To change my toolbox, I modeled mine after a toolbox my teacher made for a previous project. I made sure that I would answer the who, what, when, where, how, and why; and explained each and every numerical summary and graphical display that I would use so that the reader is informed of everything I intend to do and what I am using. I also added the question of which I intend to answer from this project so the reader knows exactly what I am looking for; that I am not just randomly finding the housing prices of New Orleans area homes. I started with just using the five number summary, a histogram, line graph, and box plot. I did not explain what they were and how they are used, but I explained so in my revision. I even added a few more things I will use, including a two-sample t test, the mean, the standard deviation, and any outliers that may come into effect. To explain the two-sample t test, I used this link (http://europe.isixsigma.com/library/content/c070613a.asp) that explained how to do this test and how to make sense of it.


Here's a link from Latter and Blum President Arthur Sterbcow discussing the housing prices in New Orleans in December 2007: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r0_zHfJTszs

2 comments:

Krishna Patel | March 19, 2009 at 6:47 PM

I haven't completed my post for my data analysis toolbox corrections yet, but I like the way you set your paragraphs up. The first one talks about what the errors were, and the second tells how you fixed them. Also, nice use of links to show what a T Test is, and to show previous data about New Orleans Housing Prices.

adams | March 19, 2009 at 10:20 PM

I would have to agree with Krishna on this on. You organized your blog very well, and the links included are very helpful. The mention of the previous toolbox also helpes when understanding the importance. I can see that you worked hard on this post and I am really impressed.

Post a Comment